Say It Again, Ms. Council Member

At the hearing on a proposed new 16 and under daytime curfew that would give Dallas police the power to arrest youths out and about during the school day, Council Member Angela Hunt showed her tiger-style Kung Fu is superior.

Hunt asked police if the majority of daytime burglaries are committed by male juveniles. Yes, police officials responded – the vast majority.

“Then, if our idea is let’s get people off the street who might commit burglaries or might commit criminal acts, I’ve got an idea, guys: Let’s put down a law that is a daytime and a nighttime curfew for men,” Hunt said. “I mean, guys, this is a slippery slope.”

Comments

Then, if our idea is let’s get people off the street who might commit burglaries or might commit criminal acts, I’ve got an idea, guys: Let’s put down a law that is a daytime and a nighttime curfew for men,” Hunt said. “I mean, guys, this is a slippery slope.” MS Hunt

I agree with Ms. Hunt-what next, charge men with possesion of a rape tool?

2. Or women for potential prostitution.

3. Lemmy says:

So the vast majority of crimes in the daytime are committed by juveniles, and the curfew is aimed at…………juveniles. And this is somehow a slippery slope to what? Under this logic, all laws aimed at juveniles are a slippery slope……..to whatever. If certain people on the council don’t want a curfew, they need to start doing something about crime. I’m tired of going through my neighborhood and seeing every flat surface covered in graffiti.

Lemmy those juveniles are supposed to be in school, and an officer can stop them and transport them back to school, which has the same effect as a daytime curfew law.
    To make arrests for what one “may” do is akin to martial law.

5. Lemmy says:

Sorry keith, equating a curfew for minors to martial law, or even a slippery slope towards it, is a stretch to say the least. Even more so since there’s apparently a nightime curfew in place already. Has that night time curfew led us to martial law? Of course not.

Not that any of this matters, it’s doubtful it would be enforced anyway.

Since over 90% of white collar crime is committed by middle class and upper middle class males, shall we ban them from participating in business. After all given today’s economy, wouldn’t such a law saved us from the economic crisis we are in?

7. Angela Hunt says:

Dave Levinthal misunderstood my point when he reported this and has since corrected it.

I wasn’t asking about male juveniles. I was asking about the percentage of adult males — men versus women — who commit burglaries. My perception — confirmed by DPD — is that most burglaries are committed by men. If the idea is, “Let’s get people off the street who MIGHT commit crime,” then logically, we should have a daytime curfew for men. And a nighttime curfew would make even more sense. Men are committing more burglaries than juveniles — boys or girls. A curfew for men should fix a huge part of our burglary problem.

My point is, curfews can certainly have the desired effect on reducing crime. But the cost is personal freedom of movement, something that I personally don’t think Americans, whether children or adults, should have to give up. That is a slippery slope, and a path I don’t think we should go down.

Our current laws allow the police to stop students and return them to their school. Why criminalize truancy, when that in itself is already impermissible in our schools? We’ve got the tools we need right now to address truancy and the crimes that may result from such truancy.

8. Rachel Dillard says:

Ms. Hunt’s final paragraph in her comment above summarizes what’s already true: police are permitted to confront truants and return them to school.

Is it just me or has there been a trend the past several years/decades to correct the failure to enforce existing laws by throwing another law that says the same thing at the problem?