Friday Roundup: If This Lasts More than Four Hours…

• Today’s DMN Opinion home has a roundup of all the recent op-eds for and against glorious People’s Hotel. Notice the pro-hotel folks don’t make a business case for the hotel, and in fact Mayor Leppert spends most of his op-ed attacking Harlan Crow. Pretty telling.
  • Southlake resident Phillip Jones, president of the Dallas CVB, released a list of four organizations that have “committed” to having their conventions if the People’s Hotel is built. But none have signed any contracts, and none have put down a deposit, which is the bar other CVB’s require to consider a convention booked.

Comments

1. Peterk says:

Rawlins does have a way with words, too bad he didn’t skewer those on the left who have preconceived notions.

Rawlins is great, as always.

He may have unwittingly reinforced a “gay stereotype,” though, when he pointed out that it’s silly to assume all gay men have seen Mariah Carey’s movie, Glitter. Because, as a straight man, I’d never heard of such a movie.

3. Rawlins Gilliland says:

Daniel, 1) you might want to re-read or better hear my commentary because your point was MY point 2) watch TMZ more often lol. Meanwhile, my friend Bill who is very much the heterosexual saw ‘Glittier’ because his twin daughters made him take him. It was surely his lowest moment as a Dad if not as a man.

4. Rawlins Gilliland says:

And Peter, my man. I would go so far as to say I lampooned if not skewered the ‘left’ as much if not more than the ‘right’ in this one. To begin # 2 paragraph tackles the PC police which when predatory earnest, ARE the left. When opportunistic with no dog in the hunt, the right.. And I mention that the same paranoid woman who told me those black people I gave a lift might be murderers…that she voted for Obama.

If it’s any comfort to you while butressing my point….I have been accused today of having been a ‘Nazi’ ‘hater’ and ‘Bush apologist’ as well as a ‘Susan Sarandon lover’ and ‘insensitive conservative jerk’. Always a tawdry but comforting combo.

Happy weekends and Mothers Day to one and all. Including Susan Sarandon and Laura Bush.

It was surely his lowest moment as a Dad if not as a man.

I have a hard time believing that, but if so, he leads a charmed life. Hell, I’ve seen the ‘tween dramedies on weekend mornings (although I don’t know their titles; I recognize the characters, though) just because I’m too lazy and hung-over to move. It seems that kids today are frequently involved in solving mysteries on a short deadline, just as they were when I was a spry li’l whippersnapper (until I was at least 30, I was often compared to Shaggy, and if I’m honest, I still bear his distinctive posture, gait and physique).

6. Chris says:

It’s a little boring commenting on blogs that get 4, 5 comments per item but bottom line is, Dallas voters agreed that the hotel should be built. Not only that, the anti-hotel team got 1/3 fewer votes than petition signatures.

Thank God the actual voter in Dallas has more common sense than the paid petition signer in Dallas.

You lost . We won. And, I NEVER asked you to remove my posts .., if you are man enough to actually publish that reality.

Bitter, party of one…your table is now available.

Chris, you sure told Trey. Yeah, this blog is no fun. Right.

8. Chris says:

Tomorrow’s headline in the Morning News:

West Plano, Highland Park fail to shove
    their McMansion values down Dallas’s throat

9. Matt says:

Chris, it’s the Park Cities /North Dallas crowd- Leppert, Hunt, Scoval, Citizens Council– that largely pushed for the convention center hotel. Meanwhile, prop 1 did well in East Dallas, where the council member made her name by railing against McMansions and arguing in favor of modern urban planning.

And you haven’t won anything yet until the city sells the bonds for the hotel. If you’ve been following the toll road debate, you know that winning a referendum doesn’t always translate to real results.

No one is trying to begrudge you your victory last night. But if the hotel follows the fate of the toll road, will you come back on and explain your vote?