Portraits in Leadership: Carolyn Davis

cdavis1I’m not sure exactly what to say. The Dallas council adopted a rule that members have to attend at least half a meeting to get paid for that meeting, and one member more than any other has a problem with that?

A frustrated Davis, who voted against the measure along with council members Vonciel Jones Hill, Steve Salzar and Ann Margolin, said there could be many reasons why she couldn’t attend a full meeting.

“I have to take my daughter to school,” she said.

What kind of job did Carolyn Davis have before where she expected to get paid for not showing up? Some sort of union job or community organizer gig? And look, I covered council for a year. Meetings typically run eight hours. Where does her daughter go to school, Shreveport?

For those not following at home, Davis is the member who expensed the city for her vacation to Belize (trade mission or some damn thing), uses campaign funds to pay for her car maintenance, and doesn’t even know what committees she sits on.

It all leads to the obvious question: How on earth could Dallas be facing financial difficulties with visionary leadership such as this?

Comments

1. Bethany says:

I read that yesterday. It stunned me. Who goes in for a job – any job – and expects to be able to clock in and then leave?

2. IJS says:

Basically, any and all executives working at the COR, only they use a fleet car.

Seriously, what job DID she have before she became a councilperson? Not just rhetorically, but actually.

I know she was a South Dallas Community Person who was on many the reporter’s rolodex — kind of like a female Marvin Crenshaw. (And how does he pay HIS bills? His cell phone is always getting cut off, so I guess maybe he doesn’t.)

4. Tom says:

Davis wasn’t the only one who voted against it. The lack of leadership and accountability from some council districts is appalling.

The sense of privilege that infecting our elected officials appears worse than anything in the private sector.

Good point, Tom — I guess we’re just going by the way the DMN chose to position it. For all we know, Salazar was even more vocal and “frustrated.”

7. Dallasite says:

Does the fact that four of our incompetent council members voted against it make her comment any less ridiculous?

Why is she not in jail over the trip to Belize?

8. Tom says:

@Daniel: Salazar represents our district. He leads the league in being absent from council and committee meetings. His list of accomplishments starts and ends at chasing the topless clubs away from Bachman Lake.

9. Dallasite says:

“His list of accomplishments starts and ends at chasing the topless clubs away from Bachman Lake.”

I like him even less now.

10. I refuse to comment on the grounds that I might throw up on myself.

Okay wait, despite that risk I have to say something. You know the Dallas Morning news never covered District 7, despite the aliens and ….oh wait that’s 9. They never covered the it until the race boiled down to Price or Davis, they were all about telling us how bad our options were in District 7.

I believe it’s because they new Mrs. Davis will do what Tom Leppert tells her to do as long as she (not the people of district 7) are thrown a financial bone every once in a while.

Breathe, exhale…
    Thanks

11. arrghhh change Knew to new please… I can’t spell good thing I didn’t win.

Oh wait that’s not a qualification.

12. @John

Yeah, you got screwed for lack of coverage and by the machine.

13. Michael123 says:

Really sad commentary on Carolyn Davis. The only silver lining in this column is City of Dallas and DISD voters know just how bad things are for DISD trustee Ron Price. If Ron Price could not win a Dallas City Council election against Carolyn Davis with all her weird political baggage then you pretty much know Ron Price’s political career is just about over. Dr. Juanita Wallace is going to give Ron Price a good old fashioned political butt spanking this November. Carolyn Davis should take note of what is now happening to Ron Price, another Dr. Juanita Wallace is most probably just around the corner.