Intel: Chips in brains will control computers by 2020

Uh oh.

Computerworld – By the year 2020, you won’t need a keyboard and mouse to control your computer, say Intel Corp. researchers. Instead, users will open documents and surf the Web using nothing more than their brain waves.

Scientists at Intel’s research lab in Pittsburgh are working to find ways to read and harness human brain waves so they can be used to operate computers, television sets and cell phones. The brain waves would be harnessed with Intel-developed sensors implanted in people’s brains.

What could possibly go wrong?

Comments

1. MG says:

Thanks for reminding me I haven’t watched Dr. Who in a while.

2. phillip j hubbell says:

It will start in the medical field. A wireless multiplexing set of controllers to bypass nerve damage or perhaps even spinal cord damage makes sense to me…of course that may all change when the government takes over healthcare and innovation stands still.

3. Anonymous says:

Intel will not exist in 2020.

What I don’t get is, what if grim duty leads me to open documents and do work-related research on the Web, but my actual impulse is to gamble and view pr0n? (Which it isn’t — listen, between disciplined work and fervent prayer, I scarcely have time to volunteer at the shelter and mow the lawns of my elderly neighbors, let alone view Hot Asian Women Stripping And Toying.)

With these ghoulish mind-reading implants, could I be sitting at my desk, chafing against a PowerPoint upon which I “must” work, and have NSFW material pop up against my executive will, but very much in keeping with my basest volition (again, in the hypothetical case that I had the kinds of depraved urges others apparently have and for which I reserve my deepest stores of contempt)?

P.S. to P-Hub,

If the research area is brain control, I think you can rely on the government to gallop boldly down the path of innovation.

5. phillip j hubbell says:

I have never been concerned with the diabolical nature of government…the main danger from government is that it will get so big that it might fall over on us and crush us…but it won’t outthink us.

But if it were outthinking us, then we wouldn’t know it, would we?