Maybe Saying No Is Exactly The Governing Policy We Need

usgs_line

Comments

1. Paladin says:

1. Saying “no” to a BAD idea is ALWAYS the right thing to do.

2. I fail to see the benefit to “compromising” when it comes to fighting a bill as abhorently bad as the democratic healthcare monstrosity. If you take a bill with 100 bad ideas and we “compromise” so that now only 50 bad ideas remain…. Its hard for me to see that as a win.

If the current legislation is the starting point for supposed bi-partisan discussion, the only purpose for the dog and pony show will be just that…. a show. If they scrap everything and start over with both sides able to present and argue their ideas where the public can see it, then maybe – MAYBE – there’s a chance for something to come out of this that might actually have a desired affect.

I suspect Obama will opt for the empty public gesture in an attempt to convince the public that he’s trying to work with the mean old Republicans. He’ll sacrifice a couple of meaningless aspects of the current monstrousity, and then claim the conservatives are being obstructionists if they don’t happily jump on board.

If that is indeed the case, I not only am fine with my representatives being seen as the party of no…. I demand it.

Obama has already stated that he is not backing down from his main proposals. This conference will be nothing more than another empty photo op.

3. Anonymous says:

GDP is a very poor metric of cultural health. Far too much of the US economy is economic froth that contributes nothing to health or well-being.

Please enlighten us. What, in you considered opinion, contributes to health and well being that should be part of the GDP? Also, what measure would you use? GDP is used by economies worldwide as a measure of economic health.

5. Anonymous says:

I was suspicious when GNP was replaced by GDP, a metric that’s more akin to how much adipose tissue one has…

I don’t think tinkering with the components GDP calculations would yield much unless all the derivative shenanigans and bank gimmicks were factored out. Instead, let’s see – the number of medical bankruptcies per capita, infant mortality, literacy, air quality…Nobel laureate Stiglitz, what say you?

So, let’s measure quality of life. Hmmm, as defined by whom? And how will we weight things? Why subjectively, of course.